Timelines and percentages and dollars awarded

You can post general comments and questions here. We also strongly encourage you to read the folder topics below and read the informational postings in each folder. You are also encouraged to post questions in the other folders as well. Do not be afraid to post questions or information. There are no "stupid" questions and topic-related information is always welcome. Do not spam our site as we will remove it and block your IP, email address and possibly pursue legal action against you.
gowithmygut

Timelines and percentages and dollars awarded

Postby gowithmygut » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:05 am

David, I enjoy your forum. I am hoping that you can share your experiences regarding CRAs. If a potential client had failed in an attempt to correct one trade line and provides you paperwork showing multiple disputes had been made to the CRAs along with multiple requests for a description of the reinvestigational procedure when the dispute did not result in the item being corrected; is that a case you would take? What would your first step in dealing with the CRA be? If a complaint is filed what is the likelyhood you will be contacted prior to the CRA filing a response? What is the likelyhood of settlement? What would a likely settlement look like? While I'm sure there is more information that you would like to have in order to present the most accurate answer, can we assume "average" damages, time involved, etc? Thanks.

David A. Szwak

Re: Timelines and percentages and dollars awarded

Postby David A. Szwak » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:54 pm

[quote="gowithmygut"]David, I enjoy your forum. I am hoping that you can share your experiences regarding CRAs. If a potential client had failed in an attempt to correct one trade line and provides you paperwork showing multiple disputes had been made to the CRAs along with multiple requests for a description of the reinvestigation procedure when the dispute did not result in the item being corrected; is that a case you would take? What would your first step in dealing with the CRA be? If a complaint is filed what is the likelyhood you will be contacted prior to the CRA filing a response? What is the likelyhood of settlement? What would a likely settlement look like? While I'm sure there is more information that you would like to have in order to present the most accurate answer, can we assume "average" damages, time involved, etc? Thanks.

Wow. That is a lot of questions to answer. Most federal cases span 9-12 months, sometimes longer. I have no idea about settlement. It has a lot to do with the facts [all of them], the clarity of the inaccurate nature of the reporting, the number of disputes, the number of subsequent denials, the quality of the disputes, quality of the denials, how plaintiff presents and can articulate their case, etc. I am always happy to take a look-see into a case but cannot promise that I will accept it or upon what terms and cannot ever guarantee a result, whether via trial or settlement. The truth is that both parties must concur to resolve any dispute. Otherwise, the jury or judge decides it for you. Let me know if you'd like me to look at your documents and a chronology [even handwritten is okay].