Creditor calling me after 20 years!

You can post general comments and questions here. We also strongly encourage you to read the folder topics below and read the informational postings in each folder. You are also encouraged to post questions in the other folders as well. Do not be afraid to post questions or information. There are no "stupid" questions and topic-related information is always welcome. Do not spam our site as we will remove it and block your IP, email address and possibly pursue legal action against you.
bloisega

Creditor calling me after 20 years!

Postby bloisega » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:52 pm

i have a Creditor putting inquiries on my credit.. every 6 months so i called them to find out what is going on and to get some info, she told me that they have a judgement against me and that it wont go away! she also said that i owe $9000.00 dollars but she will settle for $5000.00 and by paying this amount it will make this judgement go away!

i believe she is fishing she knows things about me from my credit she looks at it every 6 months or so why do they wait for so long? i don't understand can anything come from this? can she do any thing to me after 20 years??? this is a car reposession from 1986 and she says they have a judgement from 1989 but this does not show on my credit report. has their limitation run out? this is a judgement from newyork city. and i no longer live in that state i have not been in that state for over 15 years. she said that i signed a legal document and that it's still binding.

any help would really be welcome..
Thanks again you guys are great!

Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Creditor calling me after 20 years!

Postby Administrator » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:53 am

[quote="bloisega"]I have a Creditor putting inquiries on my credit.. every 6 months so I called them to find out what is going on and to get some info, she told me that they have a judgment against me and that it won't go away! She also said that I owe $9000.00 dollars but she will settle for $5000.00 and by paying this amount it will make this judgement go away!

I believe she is fishing she knows things about me from my credit she looks at it every 6 months or so why do they wait for so long? i don't understand can anything come from this? can she do any thing to me after 20 years??? this is a car reposession from 1986 and she says they have a judgement from 1989 but this does not show on my credit report. has their limitation run out? this is a judgement from newyork city. and i no longer live in that state i have not been in that state for over 15 years. she said that i signed a legal document and that it's still binding.

any help would really be welcome..
Thanks again you guys are great!

Okay, several things. First, the debt is no longer judicially enforceable. Do not reaffirm or say that you will pay it or you can cause it to become judicially enforceable again. Tell them you will not pay any sum.

If you did pay, they would show it as a paid collection on your report along with settled for less than sum owed. Both will damage you greatly. Even though the obsolescence period is 7 years from 1st date of delinquency, scavengers who do junk debt collection will lie and do mean things to your credit even if you paid it.

The judgment is likely beyond its statute period as well as was not refiled to revive it and make it executory any further. See, for example, Louisiana Code of Civil Procedure article 2031.

Check your credit, let me know if they are reporting this plainly obsolete debt on your credit.

David Szwak