Rivera v. Bank One Info?

Information that should and should not be reported where there is a bankruptcy.
HelpMe2006

Rivera v. Bank One Info?

Postby HelpMe2006 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:49 pm

David,

Can you provide some information/link to Rivera v. Bank One?

I tired to do a search, but I cant get the actual case, just get cases that mention it.

Thanks as always!

Re: Rivera v. Bank One Info?

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:58 pm

[quote="HelpMe2006"]David,

Can you provide some information/link to Rivera v. Bank One?

I tired to do a search, but I cant get the actual case, just get cases that mention it.

Thanks as always!

This case is cited all over this forum, I think. I found this post in the Pers Jurisd folder.

Rivera v. Bank One, 145 F.R.D. 614, [U.S.D.C. P.R. 1993], the court considered
Bank One’s challenge to personal jurisdiction where Bank One alleged that it was an Ohio bank and that it did no business in Puerto Rico. In this case, Bank One had refused to correct false credit reporting information, which it reported to the national credit reporting agencies, who in turn, as authorized agents and mouthpieces, re-reported the information in the form of credit reports about plaintiff. Plaintiff was obviously damaged in Puerto Rico. Plaintiff was a Puerto Rico resident. The Rivera Court found that tortious acts committed outside the jurisdiction where the defendant knew that the effects of his actions "were going to be felt specifically" in Puerto Rico satisfied the long-arm statute and due process requirements. Rivera, 145 F.R.D., at 620. All American jurisdictions provide for long arm jurisdiction where a defendant commits a tortious outside the jurisdiction but where he/she/it knows or reasonably should know that the tortious act or omission will cause injury within the forum state. Such a basis has been repeatedly found to comport with due process requirements.