1681i[c]: Dudley v. Credit Reporting Services

David A. Szwak

1681i[c]: Dudley v. Credit Reporting Services

Postby David A. Szwak » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:03 pm

Dudley v. Credit Reporting Services, Inc.
Not Reported in F.Supp., 1993 WL 501144
E.D.La.,1993.
Dec 01, 1993

Here, Trans Union corrected its credit report on Dudley IV less than a month following receipt of the letter from plaintiff's attorney, and forwarded a copy of same to plaintiff. In view of these undisputed facts, Trans Union met its legal obligations under 18 U.S.C. § 1681i(a) to reinvestigate the accuracy of plaintiff's report "within a reasonable period of time" and "promptly delete such [inaccurate] information". The single instance of the disputed Banco Popular account remaining on plaintiff's credit report does not defeat summary judgment. The facts demonstrate that plaintiff again requested a copy of the credit report on December 14, 1992, and following receipt of the corrected report, filed suit on February 8, 1993, without further contact with Trans Union regarding this singular oversight. Plaintiff's failure to notify defendant that the Banco Popular account was still disputed under 18 U.S.C. § 1681i(c), is not a meritorious basis upon which to impose liability on Trans Union.

Return to “Duty to Add a Consumer's Dispute Statement in Association with a Specific Account and In Connection with the Credit File/Report: 15 U.S.C. 1681i[c]”